- 1 kg chicken
- Spray olive oil
For the Bread Stuffing
- 150g day old bread, crust on and broken into small pieces
- 60g finely chopped onion
- 1 tbs each of roughly chopped parsley, rosemary and thyme (if dried herbs are your choice, use half this amount)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Finely grated zest of one small orange
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Wipe out the inside of chicken.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredient together put inside the gut cavity and push firmly. Do not over-fill as it will burst out during cooking. Tie or skewer the legs around the opening and spray with oil.
- Put chicken on its back low rack sprinkle with salt and cook at 200C for 50 minutes. Turn chicken if desired to obtain an even browning result.
- Remove from oven, rest for 5 minutes and cut into quarters to serve with vegetables or salad of your choice.
No. 15 (1.5kgs) stuffed will take 70 – 80 minutes approximately.
No. 22 (2.2kgs) stuffed will take 100 – 115 minutes. Because of this size, start the chicken in a preheated oven on its back and cook for 40 minutes turn, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt cook for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken again, spray with oil and sprinkle with salt and cook a further 40 -45 minutes. The internal temperature of the stuffing must be at least 70C.
HINT: Small meat thermometers are inexpensive and are so helpful in letting you know the internal temperatures of the item being cooked. For the chicken, test (insert thermometer) between the thigh and the body of the bird also test the centre of the stuffing too.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes