- 1 kg Beef for casseroling (chuck, round, etc)
- 6 whole baby onions, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- a good shake each of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce
- 375g bottle of ale/beer or a 440g can of Guinness
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- Mixed Vegetables (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Cut beef into 2.5-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, and add about 2 tablespoons of oil to beef, mix well.
- Heat a large frypan over a medium high heat. Brown the beef in two or three batches. Remove each batch and place it in a casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in pan and add a little extra oil, add the onions and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the flour or other seasoning and stir until the vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in the stock or other liquid, stirring well. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until the mixture boils.
- Pour over the beef in the casserole dish and stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Temperature: Set oven on 180C